Friday, February 28, 2014

Winding up Georgia . . . at least for now

While traveling last week, I spent some time copying some more of Georgia O'Keeffe's works as part of the "Studying Under the Masters" class I'm taking.
Georgia's original:

My copy:


I then took the next step, which is to incorporate Georgia's style into a work of my own.  I started with this photograph:
And tried to paint it in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe.  This is what I came up with:
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I learned that O'Keeffe, while representational, is not strictly realistic. I'm not sure I got as much energy and emotion in my flower as she does in hers, but I liked how I captured different shades of color in the flower.
I'd still like to copy a few of her paintings using pastels or acrylics, but that will have to wait until after I finish setting up my creative space.  And I definitely want to do some Chagall pastels as well. Got any favorites in my creations today

11 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I really like that last painting - reminds me quite a bit of William Morris designs.

Amy said...

She really does have energy in that first one of hers ... almost movement too ... are you using the same medium? I think you do have great colour in your last example - would the contrast be greater again with a stark white background as she has?

sky-blu-pink said...

Ooh looking forward to your Chagall work! I sang at a church in Tudelely, Kent, where he designed the stained glass windows in memory of a friend's daughter. They are beautiful on a summer evening with the sun streaming through.

Anonymous said...

I have only recently come across Georgia O'Keeffe's beautiful paints and was instantly smitten! Love your interpretations of them.

ForgedinPaper said...

Love your interpretations. The course sounds really interesting.

Miriam said...

Your interpretations are just beautiful Rinda, I wouldn't know where to start!

Jo Murray said...

It's a centuries old tradition Rinda...copying the Masters. Well done you.

Melissa said...

Oh Rinda, you've done a great job with these! I like that last one the best - the yellow center is so happy & the flower is delicately beautiful!

Susanne said...

I love how you've taken her style and made it work for you. Nice!

Kokopelli said...

Rinda, I found this Georgia O'Keefe Quote on FB and had to think of you immediately:

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for."

Happy PPF and have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

I love that last one. Looking forward to seeing more of your efforts.