Monday, November 12, 2012

Attitude of Gratitude {1}

I am working on a Gratitude Journal in November. You can see my plan for it by clicking at this link. The genesis for this project is Bernice's Attitude of Gratitude challenge blog.  Because I started late, I'm not following her posts exactly - I'm mixing and matching her prompts and really enjoying the process.
The page on the left features her Day 7 quote ("At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person." Albert Schweitzer). I added journaling "I am grateful for Paul, and for my friends who pick me up and rekindle my light. I used Byzantine metallic green paint for the letters and my scarlet lime journaling pen.
The page on the right combines her Day 8 prompt on "Self" and Day 9 prompt on strengths. The journaling reads "I am grateful for my inner strength and recognize its roots in my family tree." The prompt suggested using a picture of yourself. I chose these two heritage pictures instead (one is my cousin; the other is my mom) because I think of them as my artistic alter egos. I use them a lot in my art journaling to represent me. I drew the frame with Adirondack acrylics in cranberry, and I stamped a little heart in antique white paint. When stamping with paint, I brush the paint onto the rubber to get a thin (but thorough) coat. Also, always remember to wash the acrylic paint off your rubber stamps right away to keep them from getting ruined.
Hope you like today's pages. If you do, I encourage you to check out Bernice's blog. It is really packed full of all kinds of inspiration!

17 comments:

Amy said...

I realise I am so out of my depth when it comes to art journaling - your pages are lovely and filled with tremendous feeling.

Missus Wookie said...

I always love knowing the various meanings and implications of what people include. How cool that you use your Mom and cousin as representatives of your artistic self.

laurie said...

what a wonderful project for this month of thanksgiving. gratitude can completely alter our view of a situation for the better. it's pure magic. :-)

Sian said...

What Amy said! Completely out of my depth here too, so all I can say is - yes, I like your pages very much indeed. I'm very interested, too, by the idea of using someone else as an artistic self. I'll be thinking about that one!

Cheri said...

Another great way to approach a month of gratitude!

scrappyjacky said...

I like how you used the heritage pictures.......they work perfectly with your journaling.

Unknown said...

Pages look great.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Very nice pages! I like what you did with prompt 8 & 9

Anonymous said...

I always love your art journal pages - you have such a talent for this art form.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love your images, your pages, and your thoughtful journaling, Rinda!

Denise said...

I love your pages- they always seem to have meaning and flow well.When I do any it just seems to be 'bits '!x

~*~Patty S said...

Good Morning Rinda ~ I have enjoyed taking some time this morning to catch up with your recent blog posts.
There is always so much to ponder, enjoy and marvel at.

I too am a huge Obama fan ... hoping these four years are full of cooperation and progress.

Your November Gratitude Journal pages are already wonderful and so full of meaning and things to think about.

Happy Wednesday to you and yours dear Rinda
oxo

Beverly said...

I have so much catching up to do after being away from blogland for most of the month! I love the pages especially the creativity of using heritage photos because they represent how you see your artistic self :) Thanks for the pointers on using the acrylics on stamps.

Unknown said...

This is great and I love how you have taken the project and made it yours.

alexa said...

I'm fascinated that you use others to represent your creative/artistic self ... Your page and post are rich in meaning and thoughtfulness. And I love that image top left ...

Melissa said...

Lovely pages Rinda.

The Mann Fam said...

I love that you used those two pictures of yourself.