Friday, September 14, 2012

One Little Word Check-In: Home

Every year Ali Edwards encourages people to select "One Little Word" to help guide them through the year.  I chose "Home" as my one little word, and I resolved to focus on three different aspects of the word:  my house (our physical home); my family relationships (which are the home for my heart); and my artistic home.  It's been a while since I've checked-in on my OLW, but you can see my earlier posts by clicking on this link.  All-in-all, my OLW has been a powerful touchstone for me this year.
I have been very productive at going through the house, room by room, cleaning and decluttering. I conquered the bathrooms, the laundry room, the front hallway closet, my walk-in closet, a lot of my crafting supplies, the dining room, the living room, the backyard storage sheds, the attic and about half the kitchen.  I need to finish the kids' rooms, my craft stuff and the kitchen and then conquer the garage. But I feel like I can do it by the end of the year. I've been following along with Organized Housewife 20 Day Challenge, and it's been a good way to revisit those rooms I took care of earlier this year. 
As for family, I've put in a lot of time trying to understand my teenage daughter and figure out how to help her find her way through adolescence and into adulthood. It's been a rocky road that has definitely required me to be mindful, but I feel like we have made progress.  And she's doing really well so far in High School. Paul's illness, for all its awfulness, has definitely brought us closer together and forced us to focus on what is really important.
Finally, with respect to art, it has been a good year.  I've worked hard on learning to draw faces and how to sketch all kinds of other things.  I've really enjoyed painting with water colors, in addition to acrylics. Although I haven't taken any photography classes (and have not brushed up on photoshop), I have really enjoyed my new DSLR and have taken some shots of which I am proud. I have done fewer art journal pages and mixed media collages this year, but I am happy that the ones I have done incorporate more of things created by me (drawing, painting, photographs, etc.). I have done a little scrapbooking, and I have taken very few photos for scrapping.  Not sure how I feel about this last point, but I think it's probably okay.
So, that's where I stand with my one little word.  I like how it has helped to guide me through this year.  How has your "word" been influencing you?



8 comments:

Miriam said...

My words are create and contentment and they have had an enormous impact on me this year. I have been creating art of some kind or another almost every day. The creating bit makes me happy & content and as a bonus keeps me from thinking about home & work concerns. Like you, I like how my words have helped me through my year Rinda.

Alison said...

My word is 'active' and I've certainly become more active in our local community this year!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

My words are 'just do it' and I do feel I've made progress with less procrastinating,and more doing this year.
It sounds like you're doing really well with your word.

Sian said...

It's definitely okay. Some of the thing you will be reflecting on or maybe scrapping at the end of this year need no photos at all.

The fact that you couldn't possibly have known how very important "home" would become over the year is food for thought all round. A good word.

sky-blu-pink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sky-blu-pink said...

My motto is "no problem," because usually, nothing is insurmountable. It was my Daddy 's as well; he was the most positive and proactive person ever!

Irene said...

My word is 'focus' which I still need help with.. But I have noticed that I am more focus than last year.

Missus Wookie said...

I've been working on my word FOCUS and the goals I sent way back in January... taking Ali's class over at BPC and just been reviewing those this month. Impressed at what has happened in the year - as you mentioned it is good to see how things are led through the year.

Good luck in finishing off the rest of the rooms.