Saturday, June 9, 2012

Customized sketchbook (monthly make)

On vacation this year, I knew I wanted to take along a sketchbook, drawing tools and watercolors. I went shopping and saw many different varieties of sketchbooks. I settled on this small wirebound Strathmore " Visual Journal" because it was on sale and I liked the smoothness and weight of the paper.  One journal I almost bought had journaling lines opposite each sheet of paper. I loved the idea and decided to use a journaling stamp customize my journals in this way:
I customized other pages in a different way, segmenting them into smaller spaces because I often like to sketch small:
I was inspired to make the smaller segments by this post at Nodljus using the Moleskin Storyboard art journal for some travel pages.  I'm counting this as my "monthly make" for the challenge at Felt Fairy.  I'd be interested to hear of others who use a sketchbook that is different than simply blank pages.

14 comments:

The Mann Fam said...

Can't wait to see what comes home in your moleskin from your travels.

scrappyjacky said...

Love how you've altered the sketchbook.Rinda.....I'm sure you'll find it so useful.

Nellie Mae said...

Trip journals are my favorite! Can't wait to see it all filled up with drawings and journaling. Have a great trip!!

Alison said...

Looking forward to seeing what you sketch on your travels!
Alison xx

Karen said...

Not that I use it for sketching, but I love a little sketch book I picked up years ago that has a blank spot on the top 2/3 of the page and lines underneath. I bought two of them, and have used one for an inspiration notebook.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I look forward to seeing what all you fill it with!

Carolyn Dube said...

I thought that journal was amazing too- you have created such a great way to get the same result with a "regular" journal! Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy said...

I like your adaptations Rinda, I can already imagine this filled with lots of art and stories!

Sian said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one fills up!

Nordljus said...

Love your customised journal, Rinda! This is even better than the Moleskine one. I'm sure you'll have a great time filling it, creating a unique memory of your travels. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it after your holiday!

Becky said...

Looking forward to seeing your sketches when you return - have fun!

Cheri said...

How fun that you are planning ahead to take your art with you!

Denise said...

You're very organised Rinda- it will be lovely to see your sketches on your return- have fun!

laurie said...

i really like how you set this up. what a useful stamp - i'm going to look for one like this. :-)