Friday, February 18, 2011

Fred Mullett Anyone?

Here's a couple cards that I made during a class I taught last Saturday.  The techniques are inspired by Fred Mullett's stamps and the classes he has posted about on this website, which you can find here.  I stamped the image above and embossed it using two different colors of embossing powder (silver and black).  I then applied some washes of acrylic paint.
This card also uses a Fred Mullett stamp, embossed with a variety of different colors of embossing powder.  Since it's all sparkly and shiny, it looks much better in real life.  Fred calls this technique "painting with embossing powders."  Tim Holtz also used this technique for one of his 2008 Christmas tags, which you can find here.
I have never taken a class with Fred Mullett, but I sure would like to.  I admire how he takes stamping  to a different level and turns it into mixed media work. Have any of you ever taken a class with Fred Mullett? If so, what did you think?  Is there any other teacher who you would like to take a class from?

7 comments:

Sian said...

I've never even heard of Fred Mullet! It's always good to come here and discover something new.

Carola Bartz said...

I have seen some of Fred Mullet's stamps, but that's about it. Your two cards are beautiful - I epecially like the Father's Day card, the colors are gorgeous and I like the composition.

Anonymous said...

I have several Fred Mullet stamps, but haven't pulled them out in ages. I'm off to check your link. I was hoping to take a class with Jennifer McGuire who's teaching in Buffalo in May, but she's coming during the time we're hoping to be in California. Hope we'll be able to connect again. I'll let you know when we have firm dates.

Kristin said...

Lovely little fishes, and a wonderful technique, well done Rinda. The top little guy is my fav, beautiful colors. TFS the links :)

scrappyjacky said...

I've never heard of him either...so may have to go and check him out.
Love the effect you've got on the fish.
But I can answer the 'teacher' question without even thinking about it....Tim Holtz!!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

those stamps are so colorful!

laurie said...

very cool stamps. these remind me of when i taught kindergarten and we had the kids make prints using real (dead) fish. kind of gross but the kids really got into it. some of them had never seen a fish up close!