Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Let's talk Color Combinations

(oops.  Published a little early; meant to post tonight at 10 p.m.)
The current color challenge at the Gingersnap Creations Blog features "Vintage Hues."  I made this book mark and ATC in shades of browns, coppers and creams, with a hint of black.  I actually really like brown and use it quite a bit.  I think it pairs really well with just about any other color, too, although I've always been partial to brown and blue together for masculine layouts.  I thought about this recently when I saw this dynomite blanket which  Margie is knitting for her soon-to-arrive nephew.  Another color combination I really love features red, black and cream.  Do you have any favorite color cominations?
I've noticed several color challenges in blogland.  The Play Date Cafe features color combinations every week, and the Gingersnappers have a color challenge once a month.  Do you know of other regular color combination challenges out there in blogland?  Do you participate?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of brown and black as well, and you picked another of my favorites: red, black, and cream. Here's a color challenge I found recently, but I haven't had time to join in yet.

http://stampawaywithme.blogspot.com/2010/11/color-cue-10.html

Jean Franks Beck said...

Beautiful projects! I love to play along over at PDCC (and of course at Gingersnap!); those pretty much keep me busy, LOL!

scrappyjacky said...

I love the vintagy feel of brown and cream.....and I use blue quite a lot as well.I often use green in scrapbooking.....and like green and red .....and green and brown....together.
I think Margi's blanket is brilliant....wish I could knit one like that!!
www.colourcreatechallenge.blogspot.com has a new colour challenge each fortnight as well.

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Nope, I just stop by to see your gorgeous work. Always inspiring. And If I ever participate in any color challenges or try to do all the different mediums that you do... you can slap me. hehehe. ♥t

Melissa said...

Your bookmark and ATC looks great - really like those colors together. My favorite color combo is yellow and green, but I enjoy experimenting with lots of color combos.

Cheryl said...

beautiful especialy love the Queen of creativity.

laurie said...

i also love all the different shades of brown and how it looks next to other colors - it's very under-rated!

Michele said...

Maria, your tag and ATC are so beautiful & wistful. the hues are rich and earthy. FYI: just for fun has a friday color challenge: http://jffstamps.typepad.com/jffstamps/friday-color-challenges/
enjoy! xo

Sian said...

I've been looking for a good beginners book on colour theory recently - so much I want to learn! My favourite combos change according to the seasons and I always enjoy seeing what you come up with.

Heather said...

my fave combo at the moment is baby blue & raspberry! I also use two sites for colour ideas 'The colour Room' and 'Colour Combinations Galore' & both have a new combo weekly :))

nancy y said...

I love these Rinda! Some of your color combo favorites are mine too... and I also like greens & lavendars/purple together - at least I tend to make alot of "stuff" in those colors!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I love the colors in this. When I think vintage though my mind goes to a quilt my grandmother made in the late 1940s with pale greens, yellows, blues & pinks.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done, Rinda! Great use of vintage colours!

For other color challenges, check out the Challenge database in the Gingersnap Creations Yahoo group! Lots of great ideas there!