Sunday, June 19, 2011

Summertime Photography & Snapshot Scavenger Hunt List

This summer, inspired by my friend Young Nancy, I'm hosting a summertime photography and snapshot scavenger hunt.  Starting today (June 20 - the summer solstice) and ending on September 23 (the first day of fall), your mission is to find and photograph as many of the following items as you can. You can check out this post for all the details, but essentially, I'll be hosting two divisions: a photography division where you need to take a photograph of the item; and a snapshot division, where you take a snapshot of the item with one of your team members. On September 23, you will email me all the photographs which you have taken, and a prize will be given to the person or team in each division which has found the most items.  If you're interested in participating, please let me know ASAP. There's a list of those who have already expressed interest at the end of this email. The more the merrier; there's no down side to signing up, and I think you'll have fun!  Also, if you've signed up and want me to mail you some "happy mail" that includes the list in a couple of convenient sizes to carry around, just email me at rinda1961{at}yahoo{dot}com with your mailing address, and I'll pop it in the mail to you!
Are you ready to get started?  Here's your list!  You can take the photographs in any order, and I encourage you to post your entries on your blog as we go along.  I'll post round-ups every now and again.
1.   A picture of your entire team (or a self-portrait, if you're playing alone).
2.  A museum
3.  A camp fire (or fire in a fireplace)
4.  A protest, town hall meeting or other political activity
5.  A hand lettered sign selling something or giving directions
6.  A person dressed as a pirate
7.  A decorated mailbox
8.  Your country's flag
9.   A festival or fair
10.  A wooden bridge
11.  A forest
12.  A unicycle
13.  A cemetery of historical significance or with an interesting story.
14. A castle
15.  Graffiti art (not just graffiti and not just a wall mural)
16.  A building made of metal or glass
17.  Rain
18.  A person sketching or painting outside their house
19.  A beehive or an ant farm with live ants
20. A handmade roadside memorial or shrine.
21.  A rooster
*******************************************************************
Entrants in the photography division:
Helena
Amy
Jacky
Sian
Alison
Karen
Becca
Deb (England)
Mariana (are you sure you don't want to draft some of your family for a team?)
Carola
Irene (are you sure you don't want to draft the family for a team?)
Mel (I put you in both)
Cindy McCool


Entrants in the team/snapshot divison:
Laurie
Mann Family
Tricia
Jennifer
Mel (I put you in both)


Undecided:
Carrie (I think you and your mom should team up!)
Furrypig
Yvonne
Deb (Turtle) (I think you and Carrie should team up!)
Fiona

16 comments:

Amy said...

These sound like a lot of fun!

I'd love a list if you fancy sending one over here!

helena said...

nice diverse list - some I immediately thought 'I know wher to find that' and some I thought 'hmmm, hard' - so a good challenge. thanks for coming up with this idea and list

scrappyjacky said...

My thoughts are similar to Helena's....though it's definately a very interesting list....and as this is the UK.....you may not be surprised to hear......that no.17 can be done today!!

Sian said...

Now this has got me thinking! We don't have mailboxes here, for example, or ants, - and yet, and yet, if I were to be in another country for a while....

beccaf1970 said...

Great list!Some of these will be quite challenging, but who doesn't love a good challenge!

scrappyjacky said...

I can hardly believe this myself....but I've posted my first photo!!

laurie said...

i have printed out my list and am ready to get started next month when i get my whole team assembled. what a great idea! i know we are all going to have lots of fun finding these things.

furrypig said...

Hiya Rinda! Sorry I haven't committed yet, I would love to try both tho not sure I will manage, but I have loved taking part in the 30 days of june photo challenge so will be keen to carry on with a new challenge! My team members are my family hubby DD and DS so will see how I get on! I will email you for the list too. Many thanks xxx

Beverly said...

hey Rinda, I'm in but need to talk to dh to see if he wants to do the team one. He visits cemetaries, I do not...he's very into geneaology.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

This sounds like fun! #15-21, apart from #17, will be tricky. I think I know someone who has bees but graffiti & metal buildings will require a trip into the metropolis.

Anonymous said...

Some will be quite easy and I already know where I'll take some of them while we're on vacation. The pirate I'm not so sure about, but perhaps he'll show up somewhere and surprise me. I'm off to print up the list! Thanks. I love these kind of short-term challenges.

humel said...

Excellent, thanks Rinda :) This will be a lot of fun - a good balance of easy and challenging! xx

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

I wish I had more free time to enter this. It sounds really fun. I'll bet I could get all the snapshots in one day here in Los Angeles, I might not be able to find a unicycle, though. And I might have trouble with the ant farm.

Hope you post some of the pics people send you, it sounds like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

rain!?? Seriously?? are you kidding me? i thought this was a summer project! :D And yes, i'm drafting Angelina to help me (or at least be in the pictures). Sean won't play, but i can make my kid play along. Fun stuff, Rinda :)

Mariana

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Hi Rinda ~ This is what I get for being so far behind in my blog reading! I would love to participate in the photography division if I'm not too late. I hope it's ok. My little team mate may not be very available this summer, but I'll try to pull her in as much as possible! Thanks so much for hosting this fun challenge.

Tracy said...

Hi Rinda, only saw this now, is it too late to join? I would love to do it although it is actually winter here!