Monday, November 29, 2010

A final fashion statement

As you may recall, I was honored in the month of November to be asked to be a contributing artist at Gingersnap Creations blog during "fashion & sewing" month.  I had such a wonderful time that I wanted to make one more piece that fit the month's theme.  This wall hanging is done on plaster wrap, painted in a Michael DeMeng color wash style.  I added some grungepaper flowers with vintage buttons as their centers and a bit of vintage lace.  I'm tempted to add a quote in white above the two lower left flowers, but I'm holding off on that for right now.  It feels good to be getting back to working with plaster and to actually finish a piece (this one has been "in process" all month).  And, for some more good news, the Gingers liked my work so much that they asked me to stay on for another month!  Yea me! So, you'll be seeing more of my creations there during December.
In other news, my computer has reached a critical stage in its continuing decline.  So, today I bit the bullet and ordered a new computer.  It'll take a few weeks to arrive, so I'll keep limping along with this one until then.  My biggest current problem is the inability to link to many blogs because my computer reads them as "threats." I can still visit and comment on my ipad, but it's hard for me to add links here in blogger. On the upside, I ordered Photoshop Elements, so 2011 will definitely be the year I move into more photo editing.  I also ordered my Christmas present to myself last week - a fixed 80mm portrait lens, as well as a replacement for the telephoto (70-200, I think) that I broke over the summer).  What are you getting for Christmas?

11 comments:

Amy said...

Woo hooo .... watch out the world of digi - here comes Rinda! :-)
I like the sounds of your Christmas presents - not sure what I might get this year - perhaps a bulk buy of paint? ;-)

Margi said...

absolutely love this wallhanging Rinda and WOOT WOOT on the new toy and software! I love pressies for me like that!

laurie said...

this is a beautiful piece in which all the elements compliment each other perfectly. it sounds like santa will be very good to you this year!!

Sian said...

A really beautiful piece Rinda - I absolutely love the way you have echoed the falling lace at the top.

No idea what I'm getting this year yet. Maybe I should just say "one of everything she's having" lol

Julie Shoemaker said...

This is a beautiful piece Rinda. My gift this year is that all of my children will be home for the holidays.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I just love the piece you have posted here, Rinda. And so excited for you that you are getting a new computer!!! Mine is starting to limp along too...I think it needs a major clean up!

The only thing I've asked Santa for this year is a remote control for my camera. I've been a very good girl so hopefully he'll deliver! ;o)

scrappyjacky said...

I love this piece,Rinda....the lace is gorgeous and works so well with the picture.....love the added flowers as well.
It looks like a Holy Communion picture...don't know if it is.

Anonymous said...

Another lovely piece. Do you have a spot picked out for it? I'm sure you'll like PSE. As I write this we're sitting at the gate for our 1:30 departure. SFO has free Wi-Fi; who knew?

No big presents for me under the tree this year as I already got them: a 60mm macro lens and a Silhouette (which came just before we left so I can't wait to see what it can do!)

Kristin said...

Hi Maria,

This is a lovely piece as usual. Love the textures. I haven't been blogging for awhile, I miss looking at your master pieces :) Hope your week is going well :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous piece!

2amscrapper said...

This is beautiful and reminds me of my mother's photos.