Monday, August 23, 2010

I teach art and law school


My first two classes at the C.Andrews Studio went very well - art journaling as art diary and a gratitude journal on plaster. So, I've come up with my next three classes.  
In September, I'm teaching a class on "Art journaling as creative play." It runs for three Sunday mornings (a two hour class with additional studio time available at no charge). One technique that I'll be teaching (and that I used for the page above) is using a photograph or image as the inspiration for art journal pages.
In October, I'll be teaching a simple, relaxing card class geared to making fall cards.
I'll also be teaching the class I call "Stump Maria - Halloween Edition."  Here's the description:
"Have you ever purchased a product and then forgotten how to use it? Want to get more out of those supplies gathering dust in your drawers? Ever wanted to take a class tailored specifically to your needs? If so, this is the class for you! When you sign up for this class, indicate one crafting supply that you would like have covered in class.  I will use the sign-up list to design a variety of Halloween-themed projects.  If I choose your product, you get a $5 discount on the class. If you come up with a product that I can't figure out how to use, you can take the class for free!"
If you're in the San Francisco bay area and these classes sound like something in which you would be interested, email me at rinda1961@yahoo.com, and I'll send you details.


Regular readers of my blog may also know that I am a teacher - a law school professor at the University of San Francisco to be precise.  The school recently interviewed me and put together a little video that I thought you mind find interesting.  It's really a different side of me than what you might be used to seeing, but I'm feeling brave these days so decided to share it (assuming the link works).  Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADMnWjM3ltk

11 comments:

Amy said...

Rinda I am so glad you felt that you were able to share the YouTube link with us today - I am sitting here with such a HUGE smile on my face ... way to go girl! I feel so proud to know a woman who works so hard to make life better for her students, a woman who is strong and smart and compassionate. The funny thing is, if I didn't know you I may have felt intimidated but that is one of the great blessings of art, photography and scrapbooking - we all come to our hobby as equals.
As a side note .... The Seven Year Old loves the music on the clip and asked if you were my friend and what lawyerings do!
One more thing, the photo of you at 2mins 40seconds on the right of the screen is just lovely :-)

Sian said...

I watched with a big smile on my face too! I can safely say this is the best blog post I am going to read today and I want to second everything Amy has already said. I so admire your dedication and passion AND that you still find time for your art and for encouraging us too.

On a side note, I ran to fetch my son to have a look because he is absolutely sure Law is for him - and with 3 years of school left he is already starting to look at university options and entrance requirements. One of the things he has talked about is spending some time in the US and getting involved in pro bono work there.

humel said...

Oh Rinda, this is FAB! I'm so glad you were brave because it has meant a lot to me to be able to see this :-) My blogiversary is fast approaching and I've been reflecting on all that blogging has brought me. You're one of the blog friends I've made, I just want to let you know how much I value our friendship within blogland xx It was so good to be able to see and hear you through this clip! It came as no surprise to me that you are so eloquent, passionate and strong - and it doesn't surprise me that your class was such a success, either; go you!!

cheryl@scrapaddict4sure said...

I am so glad you are teaching art as well.Of course teaching law is important ,too. Thanks for being
brave enough to share your video.

Anonymous said...

Another blog friend with a huge smile on her face. It was wonderful to hear you, as well as see you as you talk about your love of teaching. We know so much more about your love of art, that it's great to learn more about this side of you as well. What a keepsake this video will be for your kids! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I probably shouldn't have read the other comments first because now I'm having a hard time coming up with something unique to say! I LOVE that you shared the video, Rinda! And it makes me really proud to know you through our blogs - to know you on a personal level through your art and your personal writings. I'm also in awe that you have this law career and still find time to dedicate to your passion of art.

It was really cool to see you in action and to hear your voice. I'm impressed with you, Rinda, and am touched that you shared this video with us today. Thank you! :o)xo

scrappyjacky said...

I would probably want to repeat everything everybody else has already said!!!!Am so glad you were 'brave' and let us all see this video....don't think I would be that brave!!!!
After hearing and seeing you...it doesn't surprise me at all....that you are so successful in your 'job' and in your art.
And your upcoming art classes sound great....sadly a transatlantic journey is just a bit too far to come!!!

Lizzie said...

Yay for Rinda! How great to see this video about your work. And how great to see you "for real", not just in photos, and to hear you speak! I sat there and said to J. "be quiet please, I want to watch this video - it's my friend!" Made me smile and smile... made me feel proud!

Anonymous said...

Cool video, Rinda.. makes me wanna go to law school :)

Mariana

laurie said...

i so enjoyed seeing this other side of you!! you are an amazing and very versatile woman. even though we have never met (in person), i am so proud of all you have accomplished.

i wish i could take one of your classes - art classes that is. the law ones would be a bit over my head!

Julie Shoemaker said...

Great video Rinda, and thanks for sharing. It is always quite intriguing to know people in their creativity and to have the opportunity to view them in the the real world.