Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reflecting on School Days

During the last day of the Art Journaling class I taught, I had each student complete a page (from start to finish) on the prompt "What did your teachers say about you?"  The prompt came from one of my students who had remarked the previous week that her teachers used to say "Cindy finishes early and helps the other children."  Later on, she added that what her teacher actually said/meant was that she finished early and bothered the other children.  It was a good prompt and had everybody reflecting on their school days.  I meant to take pictures of their pages to share, but there was no camera card in my camera! (doh!) So, the only thing I can share are the pages I made.  When I reflected on the prompt, I realized that some of my teachers said lots of negative things about me (I talked too much, I couldn't sing and should drop out of chorus, my book reports were too long.  One even said I was mean and made her cry!).  Fortunately, I also had many wonderful teachers who nurtured me and supported me and helped me grow.  So, I did a two page spread in my art journal.  The largest part of the journaling reads, " I ignored all the negative things they said and focused on the affirming things that helped me grow." In a nice bit of serendipity, these pages fit the current Creative Therapy prompt, "what are your best/worst memories of school."
So, now, truth or dare, what did your teachers say about you?

8 comments:

Amy said...

Usually that I was too serious and then utterances of surprise that I was doing so well - the quiet students are often ignored .... I still see that certain teacher every now and then and I still harbour a degree of contempt for her. I did have wonderful teachers too, ones who did not accept coasting through class and pushed to help me reach my potential :-)

Sian said...

Um, they said I talked too much..

scrappyjacky said...

I hated school....and one of the reasons I became a teacher was that I thought there had to be a better way of doing it.

Mommy2CVC said...

I always got told on my report card that I was very social. LOL! I talked too much! I still do and in my classroom, I don't mind if the noise level is high. Oh and I can't sing either!

mosey (kim) said...

Oh my... I *love* your journaling pages. So unique and pretty, and I like the message that prompts them.

I worked slowwwly in school and was frequently distracted, which funnily enough are the same comments my daughter is now getting. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree....

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

I distracted others with my talking, especially in Kindergarten. Hey, I was an only child that lived on a farm. I finally had friends! :)

Anonymous said...

This really made me think. I truly don't remember anything my teachers said about me. I did well in school and was happy there, but I don't recall any specific negative or positive comments they made. I know there are old report cards around somewhere. I'll think I'll dig them out and see if anyone did say anything significant!

humel said...

Teachers really said that about you? That's disgraceful! Good for you, rising above it xx

I ought to dig out my own report cards, they'd be an interesting read! I know more than one teacher commented that I had a tendency to daydream.... (OK, I feel a layout or art journal page coming on!!)